Friday, February 21, 2014

Family Post: Week 14-7



February 17-23, 2014

Weekly Challenge: Spring is Here! (Oh don't we wish)

The team is celebrating the impending arrival of spring this week. We have created all sorts of wonderful projects for you using Maggie Holmes "Front Porch" paper collection (check it out here) and the Paper Smooches set "Green Thumb". Your challenge is to create something that to you represents spring.


The Green team has used both of these wonderful items to showcase their interpretation of what Spring means to them!



Hello Everyone, what do you do with 10 twelve year olds, 2 hours, $20 and whatever you can scrounge out of the community craft closet?  Oh and see if you can work in a Personal Progress discussion. By the way, It's Sunday afternoon and we will be doing this Wednesday night.  Yeah, just let me wave my magic craft dust around and see what I can create.
 
Did I have mentioned that I've become a YouTube junkie?  Well, Monday night I was watching and there was this great tutorial by artsongandsoul.  WOW!! Light bulb moment,  this would be PERFECT for Wednesday night.  What could be more inexpensive, easy to do and I can adapt to the program.  And of course I still needed to create my family project for the blog.  

So I started with a box of cards and envelopes.  The original instructions called for 6 envelopes.  For the progress chart I was thinking about I needed eight.  I had more than enough spare boxes in the craft cave, I'm sure I won't miss them.
 

We took eight envelops and open them up alternating them with the flaps down the center.  I took my poking tool and made five holes though all the envelopes.  I took some hemp and used it to string the envelopes together.  
 




After they were all secure I folded them close and trimmed just the edge off the envelopes.  This will create the pockets for the cards to slide into.  



I decorated the front, back and all the inner pages.  I used and Instagram frame on the one side.  I think it's important to have a picture of themselves when they start this journey. On the other side I wrote a favorite quote on.  I didn't want to use a bunch of thick embellishments because I wanted it to lay down somewhat flat.




There are eight virtues that the church teaches to the young women.  I used a package of 4x6 cards and cut them down to fit on the front of each of the cards that will fit into the pockets.  I also punched a label and then folded it in half to create a tab.   In the inside there's a place to put the tracking sheet and journaling. 
  


On the inside I used a printed progress chart and a place for a special quote. 

Here's a picture of the final product.  I created this in just over two hours and one trip to the church book store for the teaching aids.   Because I was using this paper collection to create my example with, I wasn't able to really match the color tabs with the color of the virtue card.  I was able to do that for the girls class.


 I didn't use the stamp set on this project.  It just didn't seem to fit in and it was going to be too muh of a mess to clean up when the girls were done.   

Check out the Cuttin' and Stampin' store for all your scrappy supplies!
To enter our challenge this week go here.

Until net time. 
Tammy

4 comments:

  1. Like the creative envelope idea. Did you know that David Tutera was on the Young & Restless soap recently? I'm a big Y&R fan. Sad when Jeanne Cooper died. Have watched Y&R from when it started. David T played himself as a wedding planner. Saw an idea for using scraps of fabric on envelopes.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea! Thanks for the tutorial link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea with envelopes...nicely done!! Thanks for the tutorial!
    Sherrie K

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so talented! I love how this turned out! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete